Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It was all fate...

As I sit and think about the last chapter we had read in our class, it really makes me stop and think about the differences that different cultures face and how people react to these situations.

I never really thought about the issues that arise for couples who are in interculture relationships. Not only do they face the negativity from society, but they may also face the negativity from one anthers culture.

I sit and think of my issues that I come into contact with my fiance and after reading and thinking about the problems other people come into contact with, I see that I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to face societies negativity.

Intercultural couples facing society: I know with older generations, they feel as though when it comes to dating, you should date people "of your own kind". They show much negativity when it comes to couples who choose to date outside their race and culture.

My thoughts on this whole situation is: we can't change the fate in which whom we fall in love with. It randomly happens and most of the time we don't expect it to happen.

Not only do intercultural relationships include people from different cultures, but it also includes people of different ages, sex, religion, class, nationality, race, and physical ability (Martain and Nakayama, pg. 237).

A relationship is not only built on having similarities, but it is also built upon things that we learn from another. We need to balance one another out this might be with having some similarities, but also having some differences.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

No comments:

Post a Comment