Every Monday I work nights at my job and of course being it is a movie theatre we get our regulars that come in on specific days. Well every Monday night I get this guy who is from Mexico and speaks little English.
I remember the first time ever helping him, I was at the box office selling tickets and he had said a movie and I didn't understand what he had said. I felt horrible and I always try to stay away from people who don't speak English very well only because I don't want to offend them because I don't understand what they are saying. Well when I asked him if he said he wanted this one movie he looked at me and laughed and said no, and then he repeated himself. As usual I felt like an idiot because I just made a fool of myself.
The next time I helped him was behind the concession stand and all he wanted was a Liter Water. I once again didn't understand what he said and asked him kindly to repeat. Then I finally understood what he wanted.
Now that he comes in so often I automatically get his water for him without him even having to ask. He is a nice guy and will try to start up a small conversation with me. I now am use to his accent and can understand him very easily.
I give kudos to other cultures who attempt to speak another language that is so difficult. They have much patience when it comes to Americans not understanding them and they in the end have to repeat themselves over and over again until we understand them. I'm not sure if I would have that kind of patience.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment