Sunday, May 3, 2009

Living among different cultures

When I lived in Eden Prairie, many of my neighbors were from different cultures. I don't even remember having any "American" neighbors or friends. While I sit down and think about all of the different cultures I grew up around it made me think about a really great movie, Gran Torino.

It stars Clint Eastwood whose wife had just died and lives in a city setting. His neighbors are Hmong and he is not very happy with that. He is very racist and has many stereotypes for the different cultures that live around him. His neighborhood use to be inhabited by white families until they all moved out and the Hmong moved in. Throughout the movie he acts tough and towards the end... *Spoiler Alert** he grows close to this Hmong kid who had tried steeling his Gran Torino car. The kids mother and sister make him offer to help do yard work around Clint Eastwoods house and Clint isn't very happy about it. He makes the kid do yard work for other families on the block and with talking to this kid he grows closer and closer with the kid and his sister.

We get to experience the difficulties the Hmong community faces with other cultures and with their own. It's a great movie and I would advise anybody to see this movie because it makes you stop and think about your life and how we interact not only with other cultures, but with our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment