As my group researches the many different parts of the Ukraine culture, I come across so much interesting information on a culture I had no interest in before. It is interesting that when you are forced to learn about different culture, how you become wanting to learn more and more about them.
I was able to watch a video on a Ukrainian wedding and it isn't considered to but just a ceremony, it is considered a party. They have many different traditions and rituals that goes on for a long time before and after the wedding. It is so interesting to see how different it is compared to an American wedding.
Also, reading about the different foods they eat and how they make sure that they feed their guests and make sure their guests are full before they leave. The Ukrainian culture seems to be so caring to their guests. I always thought of Russians and Ukrainians to be very similar because I never really saw the difference between the cultures.
I grew up in Eden Prairie and had a lot of Russians and Ukrainians living around me. I would always notice that they wouldn't smile around people they didn't know. But when they are around one another they are always happy and smiling. I always thought it was because they were just a crabby culture and I was hesitant to be around them. I also found it interesting that they love their Vodka. Some people go as far as drinking a bottle a day. Now in our society we would consider that to be an alcoholic, but to the people of Ukraine, that is just a normal thing. One thing that I did learn that I found interesting was that they believe it to be bad luck if you shake hands with someone while standing in the doorway.
I feel that it is really important for people to research a random culture, even if they are not interested in it. If more people were forced to learn about different cultures, think how different the world would be today.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment