My work is fun and you come across many different people through out the day. I don't know why I haven't thought about writing about this family that works with me earlier in the semester but now I will.
They are two sisters and a brother and they are from Britain. They have an amazing British accent and are the nicest people (but only to people they get along with). The oldest sister's name is Nikki, the other sister is Freya and the brother is Jay.
We all love to tease them about the how they say certain American words or phrases, yet they tease us right back with our phrases.
Nikki, another person I work with Max, and I had a conversation about the word "garage". Nikki and her family pronounce it as "garriage" at first I thought they were say carriage but no they were trying to pronounce garage. We got into a "heated" discussion about the correct way to pronounce. Nikki said it is pronounced "carriage" because there is only one 'a' in the word and if there were two 'a's then it would be pronounced garage. Max replied to that by asking how she pronounced large. Her response "large". Max and I laughed and she just looked at us in a confused manner. Max said that if she pronounces large and large and there is only one 'a' then why is garage pronounced different even though it only has one 'a'. She looked at us in an evil glare and then smirked and walked away. We had made her really think about it because in reality they are similar words and are pronounced differently to her culture than they are to ours. It just really interesting to me on how their slang is different from ours.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment